Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Did He Really Just Write That?




I'm pretty good at my job, actually I'd go on to say that at my company, I've completely changed how this function is performed and basically have redefined what would be listed in the job requisition. I try not to pat myself on the back too often, but there has been a lot of good feedback lately and I feel particularly good about how I fit within the department and company. Unfortunately, little things which most people are unaware of tick me off. Dave Chappelle actually did a sketch on this under his "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong," umbrella. I've met all of the Regional Managers that work in our sales force, and although in this day and age, race shouldn't surprise people, but I'm sure they weren't expecting to meet a black dude, especially since I've been told I "sound white" over the phone. I guess the "AB" (all-business) side comes out and people can't tell. But anyway, one of the compliments I frequently get from these managers is "You da man!" Literally spelled out like that. Now I know salespeople are social creatures that adapt to who they are directing their words to, but come on now, I don't think I've ever said "You da man." I've asked "Who's the Man?" Which of course the answer in invariably DCD, but still who actually types "da" in a business email? I think I should start dropping N-bombs all over the place, start calling these guys my n*****s, not that I even call my friends that cause regardless of what people say, taking ownership of that word is not empowering. I wonder how that would fly, probably not so well, but I think it would be an interesting social experiment.

No comments: