Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Everything I Love: VPN Cards

I honestly take this for granted, but on days when it’s snowing and driving conditions are awful, like yesterday, I have the ability to work from home. Seriously, this has changed my life. Back in 2000 when I just entered the work force I had a big ass desktop for my work computer. When it snowed, you came to work, regardless of how late or how long it would take, and then you did it all over again going home. But when I switched jobs (to a consulting firm) I was given a laptop for my computer and one of the most beautiful things in the world, a VPN card, or as they say at my current company a SecureID. At my old company, it was actually encouraged that we work from home one day a week, I guess it helped cut costs, even though those were fixed costs like electricity and coffee, but whatever. At my current job, I like coming into the office, there are so many meetings you need to be available. But on days when it’s cold and crappy out, when my alarm goes off I shut it off, stay in bed til about 8:30am, log on while still in sleepwear, turn on the news and then Sportscenter and chill...I get to cook up a nice breakfast using my new toy , eventually shower and then answer emails sporadically. God bless.

No comments: