Thursday, November 1, 2007

We're Giving Away Rings!!! Who Wants One?!?!


Okay, so the Sox won the World Series, we all know that, and back in 2004, they gave out somewhere around the neighborhood of 500 championship rings. Now that's an awful lot considering only 25 men make the playoff roster, but I think back then it was an honorable thing to do. Obviously the players, managers, staff, trainers, owners, execs, etc...all the people that had a direct effect on what took place on the field, whether it was playing, keeping guys healthy, or paying and signing players, they deserved a ring. But then the front office, the announcers, the NESN people, and practically anyone that worked for the organization got a ring too...which was fine imo as well, if I worked in finance for the Sox, I would damn sure want a ring too. I'm pretty sure the Pats do the same thing as I have a high school buddy that works in accounting for the Pats and he got a ring for their last championship. Then finally, a lot of the retired guys that still have a deep rooted association with the Sox got a ring, the Johnny Peskys, the Luis Tiants, the Yazs, and I think that was a classy act, honor those that came before while celebrating the now. But that was 2004. It's 2007 now, and from what I have heard, the band The Dropkick Murphys is being considered by the Sox brass to receive rings?!!?? Are you freakin' kidding me?!!?! All they do is play this annoying song Tessie, which is horrible, and I don't care if it is the adopted theme of the Sox, it's just such a bad cover it's not even funny. I think they play the song Papelbon does his jig to as well, but is this deserving of a ring?!?!? This is a joke. Down South, where high school football is king, when you're on a championship team and you get a ring, it mean something, forever...you get respect even as a drunk, out of work, washed up shell of yourself...but these guys, what kind of respect should they get?!!? They aren't part of the organization; they are simply fans that covered a song that for whatever reason got picked up by the Sox. Now, I'm not saying the band is at fault at all, if the Sox said "DCD, we want you to have a ring because drank a lot of beer at Fenway this season," I'm getting my finger sized immediately. But the Sox brass has to draw the line somewhere, these rings are supposed to be precious, and designed for those that truly earned them, not some clunky band that was in the right place at the right time.

No comments: