Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Commenting, It's a Tough Job, but Someone's Gotta Do It...

So in my short time stepping up to the keyboard and blogging again, I have realized blogging is hard. It's funny, I have at least 5 different ideas to write about during the day, but by the time I actually have a free moment to write about them, poof...they have disappeared. Maybe I should carry around a tape recorder like Norm McDonald in Dirty Work. I still laugh like a 12 year old whenever I hear "Note to self, buy ass wart cream for giant wart on ass." I'm actually giggling to myself right now. Anyway, as hard as blogging is, keeping up with blogs and commenting on posts is even harder. I probably have close to a hundred subscriptions on my Google reader, not all are active, but those that are active fill up my unread list like crazy. It's a task just to get my items to read down to under 70 by the end of the day. Kinda sad that I actually consider that a daily task...So not only is reading time consuming, but let's say you want to be really involved in the life of a blogger, then you have to start commenting. So then, the first issue is that, well, you have to read everything. Second, you have to read it in a timely fashion, commenting on a post 3 days after it was written just doesn't have the same effect. I'm a commenter on Deadspin under a totally different name. Not because I'm funny, I just happen to be good friends with the combudsman Rob Iracane from back in the day, so when he got the job, he offered me the comment ability. It's always about who you know in life. Anyway, Deadspin is like a showcase of talent, and people literally wait for posts to publish so they can get their funny on. By the time I get around to reading the article there have been about 35 comments on it and one if not more has already made the point/joke I was going to make. Not crying sour grapes, but seriously, it's like a job to be a commenter on there. I was considering going to the Newark Pants Party, but no one will have a clue who I am. I comment on the Fanhouse now and then, but that's usually to point out the errors in logic of some other commenter, and trust me, some of the Fanhouse posters are complete morons, and I based this simply on things like using all caps or all lowercase, writing everything in IM speak, or the constant cursing out of people that lambasted them for their one-sided opinions. A few other blogs I'll comment on once in awhile, and there is maybe one blog I truly stay committed to commenting on, but man...it's not easy out there...

1 comment:

Eric said...

This is George. I got nothing.