Tuesday, October 2, 2007

2 1/2 years and more than $60K later, will it be worth it?

So for the last couple of days, I've been trying to figure out how many classes I have left in my MBA schedule, this isn't something that should be that hard to do, but for whatever reason, until I actually wrote it out, I just couldn't figure out the situation. So after this semester, I will need 27 more credits to graduate, which equates to 9 classes.

Of those 9, 2 of them are core classes that either have to be taken in the semester you are degree eligible or after all the other core classes have been completed. So that really just leaves me with 7 classes left that I can choose on my own, one which must be an international business course, and that will get satisfied with a class that travels overseas for a week...it would be smart for me to get my passport renewed at some point. So I really just have 6 more classes I can actually say "hey, I'm interested in this..." or "maybe this will help further my career." The problem is I still have no idea what the hell my career is going to be. You see, I'm an "analyst." You know what analysts do, pretty much anything. Just change the word in front of analyst and that's what I can do. You need a financial analyst, I can do that, you need a management analyst, not a problem, you need a compliance analyst, sure why not. Most "analysts" have the skill set where basically, you give that person a new set of data or basically a new set of procedures and they roll with it. Not saying every analyst can be a jack of all trades, but it really isn't that hard to do. Some analysts decide they have finally found the industry/department they want to stay in, move on to managerial roles, and then either continue to climb the corporate ladder, or they get hung up in one spot and based on how comfortable they are, they just chill collecting checks.

I seriously have no idea what the hell I want to do...the point of going to business school was to get more focus and direction on my future plans, and although the letters will always be a plus when people look at my resume, so far I have no idea how this degree is separating me from the competition. Thus far, I've learned some good accounting principles and beyond that, I've worked in a few groups for projects, and even in those, I pretty much work with the same people all the time, so it's not like I'm interacting with new people and personalities. Anyway, the questions remains, what the hell am I going to do with myself in 18 months or less when I have this degree and still no focus? Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here, but really, I'm getting older and I can't say where I hope to be in 10 years...I should've just stayed in radio...

No comments: